Linux crash?

Well more like an X-server crash.  I have been working on the PHP apt-get package manager and the x-server crashed on me.  After some looking around in turns out my root mount sda1 was full.  I found the following commands allowed me to work through the terminal to free some space and get X back up.

du -sh  (check disk space utilization where you are)

du -sh "path to file"  (disk space for the given directory)

df (disk space usage on the computer)

ls -lsh (list files with actual sizes) caution all directories are symbolic links and will show 4k with this command.  To see how much size a directory occupies you must du -sh.

Man I wish I had backed up my code today.  Play-on-Linux crashed on my Notepad++ and erased my file.  I will have to work from yesterday's back up.

Comments

Popular Posts