Upgrading to Lubuntu 18.04 and Programs that make Linux Awesome

The reason for the initial upgrade is improved AMD driver support.  I would also like to switch from the heavier UBU-Mate to Lubuntu which I found is one of the lightest UBU distros around.

I haven't done this yet but I am going to list the programs that make Linux awesome for me and what they do.  I of course use many specialty programs but these are programs for more common tasks.

Nautilus - nautilus is a file manager like windows explorer - I appriciate it for it's interface model with remote servers

Firefox - a web browers like firefox for windows - I don't need to elaborate

GNU Image Manipulation Program - photoshop for Linux - open source, free

HTOP - like the task manager for Windows - keep track of system resources

Handbrake - this is a DVD/Bluray ripper and file converter for Linux (must add the libdvdcss libraries for decryption) 

Kazam - a screen recorder

Kdenlive - a video editor most comparable to Sony Vegas, open source, free

VLC - the media play to rule them all, stream, intergrate tv tuners, record, screen capture, to name a few

Gedit - the text editor I prefer for programing

Audacity - audio production suite software, open source free

Google Docs, Slides, Sheets - I have been content with this office suite for years now.  Cloud computing at its best with options to sync offline.

Image result for lubuntu

Comments

Popular Posts