3rd PARTY SOFTWARE

I used a great deal of third party software when doing security analysis and network troubleshooting. I originally looked to WINE to bring my windows software over, but I had issues running a great deal of programs. I found that there is a compatibility list for tested WINE programs, but I wanted to see if there was a Linux born solution already.

I wanted to get Wireshark, Filezilla, and Superscan4 over to my Linux machine. Tada, guess what Wireshark and Filezilla have releases for Linux, in fact their bundled in the repositories for easy install, doh! Guess i'll be looking their first, next time. Superscan4 however was not found, so I looked for some other Linux born application. I found nmap. NMAP I like much better because it is a terminal command line application; it's easy to use with much more flexability.

Quick update on wireshark. Must run as admin to have access to the NIC cards in your machine. I found the best way to run it is:

sudo wireshark
(authenticate)
and good to go

So after a sudo apt-get install nmap I was good to go!

I also now use the remote desktop viewer instead of tightvnc since it too is based on the VNC protocol.

Wine Application Database found below
http://www.winehq.org/

Comments

  1. Can you post the link where I can find the list of applications supported by WINE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure will, thanks for commenting. Check the blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts