The RUB

To truly take the position of informing clients and the public I must give the good and the bad. Now keep in mind that there is a great deal of software out there and a great deal of freeware but many software companies to not care to write on a platform that doesn't directly generate revenue. That's fine, it's a part of our capitalistic ways, nothing wrong with it, but it is one more hurdle to overcome when moving over to Ubuntu. If you haven't spent over $500 on any particular piece of software you may be better off than me.

My hurdles:
I do a great deal of video editing and use Sony Vegas. I saw someone got Vegas working partially with a tweaked install of WINE but it wasn't far enough along. I looked in to PiTiVi and was completely lost. It's probably very simple to use which is part of the problem, I wouldn't expect it to be as developed as some of the other major software getting attention (photoshop/gimpshop, Quickbooks). So again another reason I can't completly break away just yet. Who knows maybe one day I'll be able to bring a Linux contender to Vegas/Final Cut in the future. I guess I'll need to learn a few things though. It would put Linux on the map with vid guys though (cheapest decent editor is $499.99)






(left Sony Vegas screen capture)

Comments

Popular Posts