The INTRO



Hello out there. I am R. Smith of Netrage and I am converting over from a windows based platform to a Linux based Ubuntu OS. My goal is to see if Ubuntu is a feasible replacement for the average desktop user. While I don't qualify myself as average I want to experience the everyday advantages and disadvantages of working solely on a Linux based platform. I am currently updating this blog with Firefox on Ubuntu 8.04.

You can find me at rsmith@netrage.org if further explanation or inquiry is needed. I would like to hear shared experiences on Ubuntu from like minded individuals. Also if you have other Linux questions I would be glad to find an answer and post it here!


The OBVIOUS

Linux operates a completely different operating kernel than windows. Linux has a different file structure than windows so forget about NTFS and FAT partitions (this doesn't mean Linux can't read and write to NTFS and FAT partions). Needless to say, some adjustments are needed. You will have to adjust slightly to a new file structure. Most Windows users are used to the "Program Files" folder, the "Windows" folder and "My Documents". Linux has a logical approach but a different method of laying out files. Get used to seeing "bin, usr, and system core" folders instead. They did maintain "my docs, pics, video" to help keep a standard for the user. So again, it's different but explore something new and begin to unlock the layout of Linux based systems.

The INSTALL

I burned Ubuntu to a CD-ROM for install. May not be the latest but this helps me forgo another download when installing later on down the road. I got my copy of Ubuntu at www.ubuntu.com. I love the philosophy of the software which is tied into the name (explained on the Ubuntu website). Anyway boot to the CD-ROM drive on the PC on which you desire to install Ubuntu. The setup is very easy to walk through. The most difficult step I had was deciding how I wanted to partition my drive. I chose to leave my XP partition intact and dual-boot with grub (I haven't really used my XP partition at all since the install). Maybe one day I'll actually do a step by step on the install but it is fairly simple.
Ok, so you did the install thing and you stepped through the looking glass into Linux congratulations. If you used the same CD I have you'll now find your self looking at 237 updates for Ubuntu and pre-installed software. Don't be concerned I see no difference in the windows updater and this, so allow 2 hours and go have lunch.

The WINDOWS NETWORK

coming very soon...
covering SAMBA

The FLASH AND PIZAZZ

covering advanced desktop effects

Comments

Popular Posts